Thursday, February 09, 2012

A quick question...

What would your interpretation be if you were driving in to work and the person ahead of you had a U.S. flag on their car antenna, but the flag was upside down?

Is it just someone who's too much of an idiot to put it on correctly? (At that, I will say I'm not fond of flags as car antenna decorations and such - they get tattered very fast and that seems disrespectful to me). Or are they sending a message? I know militarily, a flag flown upside down means "we are in dire distress" but I have also known people who seemed to hate and reject a lot of what the U.S. stands for as flying/wearing flags upside down. Of course, that was during the Bush era, so I don't know. Maybe it means something different now. I don't know. I don't think I'd fly a flag upside down unless my state had been invaded by a foreign army and no help was forthcoming....

So I don't know what to make of the driver in the car. (I didn't see a university parking sticker on it, so I don't think it's likely it's a prof here).

I know we have some serious problems, both in terms of fiscal policy/government spending and also in terms of those in Washington figuring they're entitled to do what they want, regardless of the will of the people (or in some cases, the Constitution), but I still think we have hope as a nation. I also think maybe people are beginning to wake up about the idea of over-reaching government, what with this fight over Obama wanting to require Catholic institutions to pay for birth control for their workers. (I think - and I certainly HOPE - the First Amendment wins here. And I know that, as a Protestant, if I were working at a Catholic institution, I would not expect birth control to be made available to me: you take a job, you accept the fundamental policies of your employer.)

No comments: