Friday, July 23, 2010

I can't wait for this week's FFOT

So here goes.

Students who slack off, who do foolish and dangerous things that get themselves in trouble, who can't be bothered to show up to meetings on time, and who THEN blame the professor or the other students in the class for their failures, can heartily sod off.

Students who write long, complaining, whiney e-mails to faculty about how they've been "screwed over" by the system, when actually it was their own inattention or lack of concern, can go soak their heads.

In general, people who mess their lives up in ways big and small, can't see that their previous actions were what brought on the bad consequences, and then spend copious amounts of time complaining to other people, can just jump off a log into deep water.

ESPECIALLY if the person they come whining to is someone who is working their ass off in order to keep their OWN shit together.

Why can't we take the people who can't get their stuff together, and can't see that it's their own fault when they mess up, and just send them all to a deserted island somewhere? It would make life so much nicer.

I'm also having to dream up a way of telling this person "Do not come to me seeking a recommendation for a job because based on what you've done this summer, you will not like what you will get" without causing howls of upset, disapproval, and very likely the person's going to the Dean with the complaint that I am "mean."

2 comments:

Kate P said...

Wow.

Lately, I've wondered when did "fair" come to equal "mean"? Seems like it, doesn't it?

Heroditus Huxley said...

I know what you mean...you ought to see some of the crap excuses I get coupled with "but how can I pass?"

I usually give them the unvarnished truth--they have to catch up with papers and blogs, all for half credit, and keep up with all of the rest of the work--and give them the choice of trying or dropping.

Some drop. I haven't had one try to catch up and keep up yet. And then they whine when they fail. I'm just glad my department head tends to support his faculty, right or wrong.