Thursday, December 09, 2010

Interesting...

In my non-majors biology class, we cover a section on the human reproductive system. Including a discussion of preventing STDs/contraception. A typical question I have on the final exam is for them to name one way of preventing pregnancy.

A greater number of students than ever before have said "Abstinence."

I did kind of make a big deal about it being the 100% certain method, but still...it may be a good sign.

(Also - I was talking about preventing STDs and how another way to avoid getting one - other than abstinence or a condom, though condoms are not 100% guaranteed - was to be in a long-term monogamous relationship. And I commented, "So, couples who have been married for 50 years and have been totally faithful would not need to use a condom...and of course, by that point, they'd not need to worry about pregnancy." A couple girls in the class went, "Ewwww!" You know what? I'm sorry if the thought of couples in their 70s still getting it on bugs you, but I'm sure it happens. And if a long-time married couple is still in love and still able to do "it," more power to 'em.)

No comments: