Friday, April 08, 2011

Have to get this off my chest

THE GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN IS **NOT** HAPPENING BECAUSE REPUBLICANS WANT TO PREVENT WOMEN FROM GETTING ABORTIONS.

Get OVER yourselves, people.

Also: saying that reducing abortions "hurts women" doesn't totally compute with me: aren't half of fetuses female? While I'm not quite so hard-core as to say it should be banned, I think we need to work really hard on alternatives, so abortion, if it happens at all, is incredibly rare.

I don't know. I would have no headaches with a de-funding of Planned Parenthood. Or NPR. Or Public TV. If people think those things are so valuable, they should be willing to voluntarily pay for them to exist.

My understanding is: we're getting close to broke as a country. If we don't do something, it will be VERY BAD. If I were getting close to broke as a person, instead of continuing to borrow money and eat dinners out and have premium cable and buy fancy coffee drinks, I'd cut out ALL the unnecessaries and focus on keeping a roof over my head, keeping myself minimally insured, getting to and from work, paying my necessary bills, and buying what food I need to keep going. It would suck, but sometimes things just suck.

I don't want to see Weimar-level inflation just so we can all still have certain perks. What good is public tv if you can't afford to pay the electric bill?

But I have to admit, the "evil republicans are engineering this specifically to prevent women from getting abortions" trope, which I've heard various places on the internet, is really making me rage-y.

What about anger and upset over our TROOPS IN HARM'S WAY maybe NOT BEING PAID? I'm a LOT more upset about that.

No comments: