Saturday, June 30, 2012

A little nonsense, now and then

I know how Willie Wonka ended that phrase, but today I'm gonna say, "Can keep your head from exploding." (I've put myself on a news fast. Because everything I see is either someone "spiking the football" or lots of handwringing about how the Obesity Police (and the Smoking Police, and the Too Many Medications police, and the Doesn't Exercise Enough Police) are on their way.

So I'm watching a lot of Cartoon Network. One of my favorite shows (either on there or really, at all) is Regular Show. Yes, it's rude and crude and kids emulating the characters could get in a lot of trouble. But it's the kind of stupid that makes me laugh - there is annoying stupid and there's funny stupid, and Regular Show is definitely funny stupid.

Well, in one episode, Mordecai and Rigby made a fake band - while hopped up on soda, they ordered t-shirts. And then decided they had to be a real band, because walking around in fake band t-shirts was lame. So, they formed "Mordecai and the Rigbys." Oh, there's more to it, lip-synching and their future selves and Mordecai having a rare instance of clarity and doing-the-right-thing. (And getting stood up yet again by Margaret).

But, the song they sang? Has been turned into a "real" music video. I love this greatly, because it reminds me of every self-consciously arty music video I saw in the late 80s and early 90s. (I also love the little allusions to the show: note the "My Mom" on Muscle Man's drum kit).

No comments: