Tuesday, June 19, 2012

O RLY

I dealt today with one of those Smugtrons. You know the kind: the people who think they're better than everyone else by virtue of the purity of their diet, or how small the carbon emissions of their car are, or what extreme lengths they go to to buy all "sustainable" products.

This was someone claiming that her body was "really, really smart" because it "told" her not to like things bad for her (I think processed sugar was an example).

Because I am in large part a lady, and also in large part not interested in getting involved in an argument where at least one parties' positions are purely emotionally held, I refrained from chirpily telling her, "Oh, then broccoli must be really bad for me, because I hate it! My body's so smart, I never eat it! I should listen to my body more....oh, hey, it's telling me I need a cupcake."

But yeah. I really get tired of people with the holier than thou attitude.

1 comment:

Dave E. said...

"...her body was "really, really smart."

I hope somebody comes up and says something like this to me someday. It won't happen of course, because now I'm ready for it, but my response would be:

"My body is mostly dumb, but my spleen is very smart. It solves complex mathematical problems while I'm sleeping."

Man, I'd love to see the look on the other person's face after that.