Thursday, July 19, 2012

Friday flip-off

Or Thursday, whatever. Thursday is my Friday in summers because we have a four day week.

But this week I want to administer a hearty go-soak-your-head to administrators who want to micromanage every aspect of our lives - down to, apparently, our e-mail signatures - we're now told what font to use and what information to include, and we MUST have the campus logo. And yet, there are some big problems (for example, campus buildings losing power in the late afternoon because of insufficient capacity for power demand) that won't be addressed, or "there's no money for that."

I can guess why we've been dictated what to have in our signatures, though, and that leads to my second, my go-fall-off-a-log: the people who felt the need to put information of a personal/political nature in their signature files, and thus make everyone else have to read it when they sent out an e-mail. I know of several people who had Bible verses in their signature lines, and while that doesn't bother me, I know people who would be greatly bothered by it. (Also, the fact that we are a state school raises some questions...) I guess I'd include a go-pound-sand for the people who are so hair-trigger offended by stuff that they called someone up and complained to them, and so rather than calling the person in question and asking them to remove the verse, the someone decided instead that we ALL will have ALL UNIFORM signatures.

The problem is I'm unsure of how to append the logo image. My chair has offered to help me do it but gah...neither she nor I should have to be dealing with this.

it makes me think of Nero fiddling while Rome burns.

No comments: