Monday, April 20, 2015

4/20

One thought on the whole Cannabis News Network thing (CNN apparently spent yesterday evening showing programming about "Weed Nation"): I hope this starts to make pot "uncool."

I think one of the big problems with the creeping legalization of pot is that people see it as a fun and cool thing to do, and they don't think of the consequences for their health or their jobs or other things - in a way, it's kind of like cell phones. I can't list the number of times I've gotten stuck behind someone driving too slowly and weaving on the street, or someone running a four-way stop, or someone pulling out into the wrong lane, because they were on a cell phone or were texting.

And I've vented my rage here before about people texting in class.

Cell phones are fine in some cases. But too many people want to be able to use them all the time - too many people get hooked on them. Too many people use them where it is inappropriate.

And that's kind of how I feel about the growth of the pot industry. As I've said before, I don't care too much about decriminalization - don't lock up the small-time users (then again, the fact that there are violent drug cartels, who probably would seek to undercut any legal suppliers anyway....I don't know. I'd love to see demand go away, that's what will ultimately solve drug problems).  I don't care about the person who wants to smoke a joint on Friday evening, at home with friends. But I don't want to have to go to the grocery store and navigate around stoned people. I don't want to deal with people on the job who are stoned. I don't want students showing up to class high, or telling me they're too "wasted" to take an exam and need a make up.

As I said: people using it in their own homes or places where I don't have to deal with it, fine. (But I'd also hate living in an apartment complex and regularly having to smell it, just as I felt about cigarette smoke).

But for goodness sake, don't PROMOTE it - as some news stories do. Heavy pot use makes people stupid and indolent and we don't need that in our country. Though then again, maybe Dr. Sanjay Gupta talking about it too much will make some teenagers go, "This is baby boomer stuff, ew" and want to avoid it. I don't know.

No comments: