Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Freaking spam!!!

So, this morning I have received spam e-mails with the subject lines:

"My Heart"

"My Love"

"You're My Valentine"

and "I love you!!!!"

None of them being from e-mail addresses I even remotely recognize (most of them have a .uk address), I assume without opening them that they are spam.

And you know what? I have to say that kind of angers me.

Here are spammers playing on people's desire to be loved - hell, on the fact that some people might be a little lonely and sad because it's Valentine's Day coming up, and they're all alone, and all the ads they're hearing are the damn love love love buy diamonds love love love get her pajamas and you'll get a little somethin' somethin' Vermont Teddy Bear dinner out for two with "special" menu...

There should be a special place in hell for people who try to exploit others like that. (Well, there should be a special place in hell for the Pajamagram advertising writers too, but that's a different matter).

You know? When I was a little younger, a little more innocent, a little less accepting of the fact that I'm destined to be a lifetime single, I just might have opened those e-mails, thinking, I don't know, maybe someone who was a friend of a friend actually knew someone in the UK and suggested he start emailing me because we could have hit it off. And I would have been disappointed and made sad by it (and when I was still in my early 20s, I might have cried a little bit even).

I don't know if it's better to get an e-mail message claiming I am someone's "Heart" and roll my eyes and go "damnable spammers" and delete it unopened, or to maybe for just a second or two, believe it, and then be disappointed. Neither one is a very good choice.

But, dangit, spammers? Are you going to start sending women messages on Mother's day saying "From your Daughter" or "your Son loves you"? I wouldn't put it past you, you scummy sleazy scummy sleazebags. (And your moms, unless they're spammers too, are probably Very Disappointed in you.)


Edited to Add: But really, who cares? Joel and his family are doing lots better! And hearing that makes me feel as happy as if I had actually gotten a Valentine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spammers must die.

Kate P said...

Does anyone remember the "I Love You" virus from about seven or eight years ago? It took down the system at my (then) office. You'll love this, Ricki--the person who opened it was a man from the UK. Hee hee!