Thursday, August 26, 2010

Aw man

Another student with a DUI and with issues. She caught me in the hall this afternoon. She's trying to get into the dorm so she doesn't have to beg people to drive her, but because of the DUI, they may not let her have it.

(And she has a long commute...it's like 45 minutes).

I don't know. I try not to be all Judgey McJudgersons but you know...when you're an adult...you should be sufficiently with-it to realize that getting into a car impaired is a REALLY bad idea, and not just because you might lose your license. And if you can't arrange for a ride home, or a cab, or whatever, you don't drink.

And even if the person "only" gets caught (and doesn't kill someone), it has a ripple effect....people are having to drive her. She is going to have to get a buttload of makeup work from profs. (At least she seems not-snowflakey, she didn't approach it as OH HAI I HAD DUI YOU GIVE ME MAKE UP ASSIGNMENT NAOW).

But I don't know. I get so worn down by the bad choices other people make, bad choices that then lead to more work for me or my colleagues or more work for the other students. Or something.

I know I'm supposed to be forgiving and tolerant and loving to other people...but sometimes seeing what happens to people and, from my perspective, it looking like what happened was the consequence of a behavior they could have chosen not to do....well. It's hard to feel like I should allow someone to hand a paper in a week late or something because of it. (Or maybe it actually is being more loving not to - offering Tough Love.)

(I really think, perhaps more people in our society would benefit from a little Tough Love rather than always being picked up and having their boo-boos kissed and an ice cream cone bought for them. But that could just be me being bitter because when I did something wrong as a kid, my parents let me experience the full consequences of it, whether it was having to clean up a gigantic mess or lose my allowance for weeks and weeks to pay for the thing I broke by being careless, or whatever.)

1 comment:

Mr. Bingley said...

"I really think, perhaps more people in our society would benefit from a little Tough Love rather than always being picked up and having their boo-boos kissed and an ice cream cone bought for them."

dingdingding! we have a winner!