Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Not a "vintage" I want

Let's see:

Unemployment is high, possibly going to trend higher.
Banks are failing (still) and stores and restaurants are closing down.
Bedbugs are making a resurgence
Whooping cough is once again a health problem to be worried about.
Poor sanitation at food-producing plants (eggs) is in the news.

I don't think we're reliving the 1970s, as I claimed earlier. I think we're reliving either the 1930s or the 1910s.

(Though if we're gonna relive the 1930s, could the women's fashions have, I don't know, a little more panache? I went shopping over my between-semesters break and bought NOTHING because everything was so ugly - dark, drab, muddy colors, blobby, tentlike shapes.)


At least I haven't heard any cries in favor of a neo-Prohibition lately...

No comments: