Friday, February 13, 2015

No fake, Sherlock.

Two little things:

A. President Obama said: ""It’s one of the great paradoxes of our time that the very technologies that empower us to do great good can also be used to undermine us and inflict great harm,"

Wait....a tool can both be used to help and harm? Who would EVER have thought? 

B. My personal information was swept up in the Anthem breach and I spent part of the end of last week and the first of this week getting locks and holds and alerts placed. That said, I am absolutely, positively, 100% not-in-favor of more restrictions (like some of those some on the Left seem to favor) on the Internet, because those seem mostly designed to hurt dissent and to hurt those who are abiding by the existing laws. That said, I think identity theft needs to somehow be dealt with more severely. (Last week I was stomping around saying it should be a capital crime, but no, I don't really think that). But yeah, it feels creepy and weird and wrong that some jerk over in China may have my social security number and birthdate. (And not so he can send me a card on my birthday, either)

So: tools can help and harm. The answer is NOT restricting the tool or access to it, but dealing harshly with those who misuse the tool.

No comments: