Friday, October 27, 2006

more random

Well, the car place still has my car.

Every other freaking person in my department has gone home to enjoy their weekend and I can't because I'm waiting for a pair of tires (I mean, honestly: how hard is it to keep tires in stock? Pretty hard, I guess).

I'm really really really really hoping that they don't get one tire off, have the clock hit 5:30 pm, and all the workers go home for the weekend.

Because: My car place stopped having Saturday hours. How stupid is that? I know at least 45 people who can ONLY get their cars in (easily) to be worked on on a Saturday. I'm sure it was not for lack of business; it was probably more that too many of the mechanics called in hung-over and they just said screw it.

But, like I said, my car is a hostage right now. And they probably are not prepared for the vitriol I will unleash on them if they tell me, when I call in a little bit to check on the status of my car, that they need to keep it over the weekend because it's not "done."

not done? Put the old tires back on it and give it back to me. Just because everyone else in this town is married or at least has an ex that they are still on "with benefits" terms with, doesn't mean that everyone in the world has a screw-buddy that they can call up and say, "hey, would you drive me around town this weekend? I'll make it worth your while." Nooooo. I'm all alone - I was too smart to marry the chaps who would have had me, and too picky to date much, and too ugly or too independent for the guys who were "catches." So I'm all alone left to navigate the world of car repair. And it sucks.

Also - I can't even ask for a loaner. The car place has a big sign that says "Do to [yes, they cannot even get the grammar right] our insurance regulations, we cannot give loaners from our new or used car lots" Great, thanks a million. One time I had to bring the thing in for a RECALL repair and they basically snickered at me and gave me the phone number of a rental place when they said they'd need to keep it for a couple of days.

I hate my car repair place. I'd take my car somewhere else but this place is marginally more honest than the other ones in town, and I don't feel like wondering if I'm getting screwed on every oil change.

***
I hope I get home soon because I have a giant overflowing basket of laundry waiting for me. And I MUST change the sheets on my bed; apparently there's poison ivy-crap on them; I'm getting re-infected. And that makes me angry. Not quite angry enough to try and go get a steroid shot, which would make me angrier (HULKETTE SMASH!). And besides, I can't, because I DON'T HAVE MY CAR RIGHT NOW.

I could walk home and call the car place to come pick me up from there but again - as a single woman, I'm not too cool with the idea of some random 20 year old mechanic who may or may not have a drug problem knowing where I live.

****
I also need to get home so I can fix a more nutritious dinner tonight. I've kind of been living on peanut butter and canned fruit and frozen pizza, and that does not make for a happy ricki.

****
What I should do this weekend -IF I GET MY CAR BACK - is go and take a day to shop somewhere, do the retail-therapy thing. Because this week has sucked big giant igneous rock with sharp crystals embedded in it, and I really need something to make me happy.

*****

they said my car "might not" be done until 5:30. I wonder if 4:30 is too pesteringly early to call them and say, "hey, is it gonna be done?"

I hate to seem like the whining female - especially with car guys because I'm afraid that will make them more likely to tell me the pooter valve's gone out or some other fictional thing and try to charge me for a replacement. But I also need to know the status of my car and whether I need to either (a) work up a big head of anger to unleash on them or (b) suck it up and call the Enterprise place before they close for the day to rent a car.

Life was a whole lot less complicated when I was a little kid and could let my parents worry about this kind of crap.

No comments: