Monday, October 16, 2006

O.M.F.G.

So, I went home at lunch today - today is my night-class day and I think I deserve a FEW moments at home especially considering I leave the house at 7. (And I had to bake a Funeral Cake. One of the traditions in my church is that the ladies do Funeral Lunch if the family requests it - we had a death late last week. So I got tapped to do Funeral Cake, which is the least I can do, seeing as I am in class BOTH during "family time" tonight and the funeral tomorrow morning. I could cancel class but I didn't know the person that well - heck, I didn't cancel class to go to one of my own aunt's funerals).

And then I came back, to get done with the backlog of horrific grading I have (multiple labs and homeworks). And wouldn't you know it, every needy person has been knocking on my door asking for help. One guy was arguing with me because he didn't understand and he thought he did, and finally I managed to get him to see the light (but he didn't apologize for yelling at me like I was an idiot).

I like to help people, but: so many of these people are ones who capriciously skip class. Or they are in class but they aren't, if you know what I mean - they're redoing their nail-polish, or are looking at the LAST assignment I gave and trying to finish it. (And seriously: this new trend of doing your homework during class, when the next topic is being covered? Needs to die.) Or they're otherwise checked-out. So it's aggravating to me to give the SAME lecture I gave last Thursday to someone who wasn't paying attention. But I have no good way to winnow out the not-attention-payers from the trying-but-confused, so I just have to do it.

And it irks me - this typical female trait of some of our women students, of asking a question, going away for five minutes, and coming back with the next question on the list. (And no - it's not a question that grew out of the answer to the previous question. It's like they have a freaking LIST and they are too afraid of "taking up the teachers' time" to ask them all in a chunk, so instead they wander off and wander back and interrupt me even worse.)

And I do all of this politely and with as much good cheer and enthusiasm as I can muster. Which isn't much, right now.

How long until Thanksgiving?

Yeah, I have PMS this week. Why do you ask?

No comments: