Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another thought on standing and sitting

This occurred to me on Sunday.

It's been BRUTALLY hot and humid here - just unbelievable. This is typical weather for August, not June.

And my church's poor air conditioning system can't keep up. So it was warm and humid in the sanctuary. And I noticed something: while singing the hymns, I'd start to feel a bit weak and light-headed. (And no, I don't think I was fixin' to be "slain in the spirit," Disciples of Christ generally don't do that). But I do have low-grade asthma. And I know that humidity affects me- and so, the effort of standing, holding the heavy hymnbook (hymnbooks are always heavy) and singing was sapping all the oxygen I could suck into my body and process through my lungs.

And if "they" think "they're" going to make us walk on treadmills and work, they better account for the folks who will get all wheezy and will lose brain function.

Because the building where I work? Often loses air conditioning for a while in the summer. And I don't think my building is the only workplace on earth where that could happen.

No comments: