Monday, June 28, 2010

From the office of N.S.S.

Watched a few minutes of news yesterday. They were talking about the G20. (An aside: I know people who live in Toronto and they were pretty disgusted with the whole thing. I wonder how long before residents begin begging city governments to refuse such conferences. CAN they refuse them?)

Anyway, the commentator was talking about the various protesters, and he remarked: "And the violent protests came from the Anarchist groups."

As Gomer Pyle would say: Surprahse, surprahse, surprahse.

I don't know. I've commented about my distaste for "professional" protesters before. Part of that is my general position that you're better off looking around where you live, finding a problem, and putting your efforts towards fixing it or helping it. Even if it's something that seems minuscule like picking up litter on your block.

The other part of it, though, is my working-person distaste for people who seems to think that they're owed food and shelter and whatever, without their putting forth any real effort: if they complain loud enough, they should get it. Let's go back in time 200 years and see how that works, folks.

And another part of it is my distaste for the ordinary working folks having their lives screwed up for the week or so that crap is going on. I know if I lived in a city large enough to have these kinds of meetings, with their attendant protests? I'd do my best to arrange to take my week of vacation time during that time. Even if it only meant staying home, with the door barred, and a big enough supply of groceries so I didn't have to venture out. The thought of possibly being teargassed on my way to by a friggin' carton of milk would probably be enough to make me seriously consider moving from such a city, anyway.

No comments: