Tuesday, May 10, 2011

*sigh*

Well, the inevitable finally happened.

My friend - I think I asked for prayers for her family over a year ago - finally lost her mom. In a way, it was a blessing - she was so far advanced with Alzheimer's that she no longer recognized anyone - no longer spoke, for that matter. I know my friend was being run ragged going to the nursing home to help feed her and to watch over her.

(Most people are saying my friend's father, who is still mentally sharp but whose body is failing, will probably pass soon - that he was "waiting" because he wanted to be sure there was someone to advocate for his wife 24/7 in the nursing home where they lived).

The funeral is tomorrow. I've got someone lined up to cover the exam that overlaps it - I can start the students off, then leave when I need to. They're also doing a reception, which I will not stay for (I have a second exam that day) but which I need to bake cookies for, tonight.

Also, tonight is the Visitation at the funeral home. I had planned to go - but now I just don't think I am up to it. I'm tired. There was some stuff hitting the fan in my department today. I gave and graded an exam. And now it's 1/2 hour until the Visitation starts and I've not started the cookies. (And I really, really need to wash my hair).

I feel bad about missing the Visitation but our CWF lesson last night was, in part, recognizing when you are hurrying too much. And I decided when I needed to make a second grocery trip (to pick up the ground nuts - an integral part of the cookies I'm making) because I forgot them the first time, that was a sign I was trying to do too much.

Also, it got hot and humid here all of a sudden and I'm hurting. I never feel more like a Fat Girl than I do when it's hot and humid - I ache, it feels like a pain to drag myself around, I perspire.

So I think I'm going to make the cookies, shower, rest, and figure that going to the funeral tomorrow reasonably rested is more important than going to both the Visitation and the funeral and being tired.

1 comment:

Kate P said...

So sorry to hear about your friend's mom, Ricki. Your presence in any way you can is the right thing to do, and I'm sure everyone appreciated it. I'll bet your cookies were awesome, too.