Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"Doomsday Preppers"

I occasionally watch bits and pieces of this show (it's on Nat Geo). I find it moderately interesting, certainly I like it more than some of the "Let's highlight an atypical part of the culture" shows (like Toddlers and Tiaras).

I have two questions, though, about the show:

1. If you had stored up a boatload of food and even ammo, would you really want your neighbors to know? I mean, these people have (I assume, I suppose a lot of it could be faked or fake names could be being used) been filmed in and around their homes, and their faces are shown on camera. I'd rather my neighbors NOT know about my preparations for coping with some kind of unrest or shortages, because then they'd be knocking at my door. (Last night, one of the women even SHOWED how she hit one of her small arms - in a #10 can of peas. I don't think it was necessarily smart to reveal that information)

2. Do the people who expect civilization to go away forever really want to live in some kind of post-apocalyptic world? I guess they do. But for me? While I'm well prepared for some kind of natural disaster/trucking strike/possibly civil unrest that would be cleared up after weeks or months....if civilization REALLY collapsed, in the sense of "no more city-supplied running water ever" or "all the food you will ever have in the future is what you can grow or kill".....no. I don't think I'd want to be a survivor in that event. I don't think I'd want to remain. I'm too old really at this point to be a "breeder" for the next generation, and while I probably have specialized knowledge that would be valuable (stuff like what plants are edible and how to make yeast from scratch and how to make soap and candles and pasteurize milk), still...I can't picture wanting to live in a world where climate control and toilet paper and reliable medical care are a distant memory. If that sounds spoiled then fine, I'm spoiled.

The other thing, for large-scale disruptions? I live alone. Even if I had enough ammo to defend my cache of food against all comers, I'd have to sleep sometime. I suppose that's why so many people plan on "bugging out" to somewhere in the woods (I could probably do that if I had to, though not for a very long period of time...certainly not forever, not without building a place). Or maybe the answer is, if you really think it's going to hit the fan, you band together with a group of like-minded people. I don't know.  As I said, I'd be fine given a trucking strike or some kind of natural-disaster disruption of the delivery infrastructure, or something like a fairly short-lived epidemic where we were told to stay home and avoid contact with others. And I might be okay given civil unrest. (I am guessing, in my town, any civil unrest would probably quickly be put down by the many lawful-society-friendly people who have hunting rifles or other weaponry.)

No comments: