Thursday, May 10, 2007

A contrast

(What is it with all these celebrities being arrested for drunk driving? I mean, I might speed, I might distractedly pull out in front of someone, I might even drive with an expired tag through sheer forgetfulness, but I'd never, ever, ever drive if I had had even a full glass of wine*)

Anyway. Ty Pennington, celebrity carpenter, was arrested this week for driving drunk (I saw it in my local paper...it's very bizarre what "news of the outside world" reaches us...mostly it's the weird little soundbitey things, not the meatier stories).

I think it's an interesting contrast with the P*aris story. Here's what Pennington did, at least according to the accounts I've read:

*He apologized to his fans and co-workers.

*He admitted he did something stupid and criminal.

*He mentioned "accountability" (he or his people paid the $5000 bail and it's expected he'll show up to court in June)

*He said he's grateful he didn't injure anyone with his stupidity.

What he didn't do:

*Call upon his fans to beg to get him "pardoned" of the charges

*Pout

*Try to say it wasn't his fault

*Claim that his "importance" (and I'd argue that he does more good in the world than the Hilton spawn; didn't he have that show where he remade people's houses for them when they couldn't afford to, like, for example, when someone had to start using a wheelchair and they couldn't afford the necessary house-mods?) should be a reason for his not being punished.

Here's part of what he said:

"We all make mistakes, however this is about accountability. Under no circumstances should anyone consume alcohol while driving. I could have jeopardized the lives of others and I am grateful there was no accident or harm done to anyone"

He also referred to what happened as a "wake-up call" (Does that mean he has a problem with alcohol? Or just that he did a stupid thing once that he won't do again?)

I suppose things may progress and change - he could always break bad and start doing the big Star Turn where he says he's not guilty or he should be forgiven or something. But for now, it looks like he's being classy about it. Well, as classy as someone who's arrested for driving drunk can be.


(*Yes, one glass. Alcohol affects me pretty strongly which is why I don't drink. The most I've ever consumed is a half-glass of white wine somewhere. I get that far and I'm like, eh, I don't want any more, I'm starting to perspire. For some reason, alcohol makes me feel very hot. And I don't mean "that's HOT" hot, I mean temperature hot.)

No comments: