Thursday, May 17, 2007

Movie Meme

I'm glad Joel asked (nice subtle Jerry Lewis ref there, BTW), because otherwise, I got nothin'. (I leave town this afternoon for a short vacation and the past couple days have been entirely taken up by field sampling with my research student, cleaning my house [so the ants don't take over while I'm gone - it's that time of year], and packing/doing the hundred things you have to do to make sure your house isn't a "rob me" beacon while you're gone)

Anyway. The rules of this are simple: Pick out your ten favorite movies, then look them up at IMDb. In the overview at the top of each movie's page, there are "Plot Keywords," usually five of them. (Plus more, if you click the link.) Take the first five, and post them. Then the rest of us get to play movie buff and see if we can guess them.

A couple of my favorites will doubtless be on EVERYONE'S list, so I'm going to choose movies I really like, that might not be on other lists.

I'm not a huuuuuuge movie fan but I can probably come up with 10. So here goes:

1. Caper / Con Artist / Farce / Sailor / Remake

(Oooh, that one may be hard to guess - not what I would have chosen for keywords).

2. Lyrical / Humor / Gentle / Competition / Friendship

(hahahaha! That one doesn't even have the MAIN distinguishing feature of the movie in it!)

3. 1910s / Ocean Liner / Disaster / Historical / Sea

(This is probably not the one you'd immediately think of. Big hint: I HATE it when they graft sappy love stories onto things).

4. Criminal / Aftermath / Horse / Bumbling / Criminal Gang

(Horse?!?! That's like, two minutes of the whole movie!)

5. Male Female Relationship / Book / Afterlife / Affection / Star Crossed Lovers

(Okay, so this one IS kind of a sappy love story. But at least it's not grafted onto something else.)

6. Money / Satire / Homeless / Breaking The Fourth Wall / Scam

("Breaking the Fourth Wall"? Okay, so one character DOES mug at the camera, but I really can think of better keywords)

7. Synthesizer / Teen Movie / Convertible / High School Teacher / Singing In Shower

(This and #6 are probably the most widely-known movies on my list).

8. Family / Animation / Musical / Comedy

(Yeah, like that really narrows it down. And to the Mary Poppins-haters out there: no, it's not Mary Poppins.)

9. Action / Adventure / Comedy / Crime

(I reiterate my comment for #8).

10. Drama / Family / Fantasy / Romance

(Wow, IMDb people - can you get any less informative? This particular movie is very closely related with a particular time of the year...)


I'm not going to tag anyone (that's just how I roll, yo). I'll post the answers when I'm back (in about a week). I will be kind of amazed if anyone guesses them all, or even if they all get guessed correctly...I think maybe the IMDb-ites got a little lazy on some of those.

3 comments:

Joel said...

Let's see...
1. "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels." Steve Martin posed as a sailor in that one.

3. All I can think of is "A Night to Remember," but didn't that have a sappy love story grafted on as well?

5. Would that be "Ghost"?

6. What on earth does "breaking the fourth wall" mean? I'm kind of thinking of "Trading Places," but there's a lot that might fit.

10. The seasonal thing gave it away: "It's a Wonderful Life?"

On the others, I got no clue. Enjoy your vacation!

Joel said...

Never mind. I looked up #5, and it's a lot better than Ghost. My estimation of your taste goes up.

nightfly said...

#5 - is that the recent one with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves? (Please don't hurt me if it isn't. I know that Kee-an-NU is a polarizing figure. =) )

#7 is Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

#9 - Rat Race is a good guess... I was thinking "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."