Saturday, November 03, 2007

dancing cat



hahahaha. This one reminds me of one of the first LOLcat pictures I ever saw:



What makes me laugh about that one is that I used to think I was the only person who remembered the Merrie Melodies cartoon that it referenced. One of the things I love about the Internet is that just about any weird little fact you know - or any odd little thing you cherish - there is someone else out there who knows it or cherishes it, too, and the Internet gives you a chance to find them.

(I loved those old, old Merrie Melodies when I was a kid. They seemed so distant somehow - they made references to movie stars or singers or current events I had only read about in history books. The "I like to sing-a" bit is from one with a little owl in it ("Owl Jolson"?) who wants to sing jazz, but his Old-Country parents want him to sing "Drink to me only with thine eyes" for the school talent show.

It's funny, when I think about it, but a lot of what I know about attitudes and pop culture of the 30s and 40s came FROM watching the old Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes. I learned what a war bond was after seeing Bugs Bunny exhort people to buy them in some old cartoon.

I wonder what people in 2070 will learn [or think they have learned] about today's culture from watching the cartoons made now. I have to say I think they will learn more from shows like "South Park" than they will from the cartoons made for kids - many of which seem to have as their main frame of reference, "Collect all the toys made as tie-ins for this show.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you've ever seen the intro to the "Futurama" cartoon, at the very end of the intro they show a clip of an old black-and-white cartoon. I think it's different each time. Maybe the writers wondered the same thing you did!