Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halowe'en wrap-up

I didn't get many trick or treaters last night. I think it was partly because I was (grr) the ONLY HOUSE ON MY BLOCK handing out candy. (People? It's one night a year. Can you make an effort?)

I did get to see some cute and funny costumes though.

Best costume, older-kid division: a girl dressed up (apparently a homemade costume) as a S'more. (I had to ask her what she was). She was in a white sweatsuit, with a brown pillow strapped to her front (as the chocolate) and then sandwich-board-style cardboard pieces with lines and dots on them to represent the graham crackers.

There were also a lot of tweens dressed as, I guess, popstars (One of my friends who has kids says a popstar character named Hannah Montana is big this year, but I don't know who that is, so the girls could have been her and I didn't realize it). Big big sunglasses and bell-bottomed jeans. (Maybe they were going as Hippies. I don't know).

There were also a lot of - for lack of a better term - glamour witches. I don't mean "sexy" witches - I will say I didn't see a single inappropriate costume (at least, inappropriate in that way) last night. No, these girls had glitter on their pointy hats and makeup on and their witches dresses either had glitter or lacy edges on the sleeves and hem or both. It was sort of a cute look.

Best costumes, tiny kid division:

one little boy, I think he was about 3, dressed up as a wee tiny ninja. It was so funny. I think he was the best, but the tiny little boy (so small his mom had to help him up my front steps) dressed as a skeleton (in a very detailed costume: the "bones" were actually 3-d molded rubber instead of just painted on the bodysuit, and then he had white make-up on to make the skull) was a close second.

There were also a couple of tiny Disney Princesses. Or maybe a Princess and a Tinkerbell. I couldn't tell too well with the tinier girl what she was.

There was also a little girl dressed as a princess (her brother was a little Jack Sparrow) who had their dog with them - a little French bulldog - and he was wearing a skeleton suit! That made me laugh, too.

There were a few gory costumes - or sort of half-hearted gory costumes, where the kids had sort of runny makeup and splashed a little fake blood on a t-shirt. I personally find those less amusing than the all-out costumes, like the little kids who wanted to be a perfect princess or a perfect pirate or something.

No Harry Potter costumes this year. For the past few years I got at least one or two.

Also no college-kids trick-or-treating for canned goods for the local food pantry. Usually that happens too, and I was prepared for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sound like neat costumes! Sorry you didn't get more kids around--they missed out.

There was quite the variety in my friend's neighborhood but she was a little bummed that not many kids came to her house, either--her townhouse is on the end and the door is obscured somewhat by bushes or something so it looks dark. I know some people don't like doing it but I'd love to have a home from which to give out treats. So I did the other grown-up thing: I walked around with my friend to help keep an eye on her 10-year-old and four of her friends. Yep, five silly screaming girls. One was a "punk plaid witch" and I loved her wig--striped! It was a fun night.

nightfly said...

The worst of all are the kids who dress up as themselves - no costume. Really sad. I actually have a "no costume, no candy" policy. It's free candy - you can make a little effort, y'know? (It's not like last night was especially cold either, which usually means costumes covered over in hoods and mittens.)

Anonymous said...

I love the whole S'more costume. Although it makes me hungry.