Monday, December 01, 2008

I really need to go to bed...

I graded 18 student research papers today. (That does not count the four that are apparently late. Even though I made it abundantly clear that late papers would make me unhappy* and also would cause me to deduct MASSIVE POINTS from them. Because as a prof I can do such things.)

(*Ricki's rule for successful college-ing #1: Do not piss off the person who is grading you.)

I hope I can shut my brain off so I can sleep. That's sometimes a problem when I work late into the evening. I hope I don't have the there/their/they're triplet and the your/you're duet dancing in front of my eyes as I try to sleep, or dream dreams about Sasquatches who misuse the phrase "due to." And don't get me started on its/it's. One of my colleagues admitted to me the other day that he screws that up regularly and I have to admit a bit of my esteem for him died in that moment.

I hate sucky grammar. I especially hate it from people who are supposedly good students bound for grad school or med school.

2 comments:

Joel said...

How about from reporters? I just corrected an "it's/its" error from what purports to be a professional writer. Nor is it the first time.

The Fifth String said...

I here yore pain, Ricki!

Though I once realized wye* so may people have trouble with its/it's - most possessives use the apostrophe. It hurts to say so but I kind of understand the common confusion.

*Yes, it's actually a word. Sort of. Ask Wunderkraut about it, he should know.