Wednesday, December 10, 2008

(UPDATED) Merry Christmas? ('Cos I'm EVIL)

There's apparently a PSA running, where some female actress (I presume she is an actress but I don't recognize her) suggests that what women should get their husbands for Christmas is an appointment for a prostate exam.

O_o

Now, don't get me wrong: I had a relative who had prostate cancer (luckily it was found VERY early and he is OK). But I wonder at the appropriateness of this as a gift. Sure, fine: schedule the man for an appointment in January (that is, assuming you buy into the stereotype of No Man Will Go To the Doctor Unless A Limb Is Severed And Bleeding). But for Christmas? Really? Does that seem appropriate?

They could at least have gone another direction and made it cheeky and funny, maybe with a tight shot of Santa's face, with him going, "Ho, ho, HOOOOOO!" and then reminding men they need to get checked (and making some comment like, "I hope YOUR doctor has warmer hands"). Or maybe something with a melting Frosty, and some comment about "Do you seem to be losing more water than usual? Maybe it's time to have your plumbing checked" or something like that.

I don't know. Do they suggest giving women certificates for free mammograms for Christmas? Giving immunization-packages to children?

I know the economy's in the crapper, but really, I think even socks and underwear would be a more appreciated gift.

And as I said: don't get me wrong. If you're a man of a certain age, you need to have that thing checked out. But I just don't think it's the ideal thing to discuss at Christmas.

Okay, here's the 'Cos I'm Evil update: my own version of a Merry Christmas Prostate PSA:

Opening shot is a head and shoulders view of Santa in a doctor's office. He should be wearing his red hat but I suppose he will have to be in one of those gown thingies.

Santa: "Gentlemen, when we get to be a little older, there are some things we have to think about to stay healthy. Things we might not have had to think about before. Your prostate is one of these things. It's important to both your urinary health and your sexual health, and I KNOW you don't want either one of those going bad.
"So call up your doctor and arrange to get a prostate exam. It doesn't take much time."

(Off camera nurse's voice): "The doctor is ready for you, Mr. Claus"

Sound of a door opening. Unseen doctor greets Santa and says he just has to prepare a bit. Camera pans in tighter on Santa's face

Santa: "One thing you have to watch out for is prostate cancer, which affects more men in the US than any other cancer. It kills some 30,000 men every year, most of whom are diagnosed too late. So be around for many more merry Christmases with your family..."

(Unseen doctor: "Mr. Claus, I'm ready to start the exam)

Santa: "Because you want many more years of, 'Ho, ho HOOOOOOOO!" (Santa's eyes bulge out slightly)

(Unseen doctor: "Everything looks healthy, Mr. Claus.")

Santa: "So take it from me. It may not be fun, it may be embarrassing, but get it done. Or you'll be getting coal in your stocking from me!"

3 comments:

Kate P said...

YES, I saw this last night, too! I think I screamed from the shock.

The melting Frosty idea is brilliant.

Kate P said...

WAY evil! But funny. And made me think, "Yeah, why isn't there a place we can send away and get brochures to put in men's Christmas stockings?" Lump of coal, prostate cancer brochure, same difference. . .

nightfly said...

I like the melting Frosty idea.

Maybe not everyone's taste, but the stop-animated sketch show "Robot Chicken" had an early bit where Optimus Prime winds up with prostate cancer, leading to him at the end saying, "I'm a robot, but you aren't so GET CHECKED." It's pretty darned funny, especially when he pops up five minutes later in an unrelated sketch to yell, "WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU!?!"

(w/v - "liturf" - for enlarged prostates. Some mild side effects include bloating, nausea, orange fingernails, possible spontaneous combustion, and hair pain. Men who are nursing or pregnant shouldn't take Liturf, or handle broken tablets. Ask your doctor if Liturf is right for you."