Friday, December 12, 2008

SO ready

I am trying to rewrite that paper that was rejected like back in October or so. (I started on it, then I got sick, then work a-sploded, then it was Thanksgiving, then it was exam week).

Ugh. I hate rewriting, have I said that before? I just like being able to mark stuff as "done" and when you're rewriting, it is never really done.

I want to be packing. Because packing is the symbol that I will be on vacation soon, I will be able to relax soon, I will see my family soon.

And one thing I have to pack is PROJECTS. I am going to be gone nearly 3 weeks which means I need a lot of stuff (well, other than this damn rewrite) to work on. Fun stuff, I mean. I have the books lined up that I want to take.

I also have a little hand-piecing project I MIGHT take, I haven't decided yet.

And the knitting: I have a couple small on-going things (including a scarf I totally unraveled last night and started over because I made a mistake many rows back that made it ugly) that I plan to take, but I'll finish those, so I need yarn for new things.

(Yes, there is a yarn shop in my parents' town, but I want to have projects that I know I want to work on).

So I dug through my box of sock yarns. And I pulled out one I bought earlier this fall that I think it is time to start on.

There is this sock yarn company in Germany, right? (They are called "Opal"). And their thing is that they make these yarns that are printed so if you knit them to the conventional gauge (number of stitches per inch) that you would do a sock at, it makes stripes or lines or different simple geometric patterns. It's kind of like magic and I love the yarns and I have way more of them than I probably need.

(And some of the Nuffers of the knitting world sniff at this stuff: "Fair Isle for idiots" they say. "Fake Fair Isle." "I only do REAL colorwork." Well, good for you, Nuffers. But I think you have less fun in your superiority than I have in looking at the self-striping yarn I am knitting up and chuckling and going, "that's so cool; I still can't believe it works")

Anyway, they came out with a line of yarns to advertise the new (and apparently now delayed) Harry Potter movie.

Well, while I guess I would say I am a fan in the sense that I like the books and movies, I am not a rabid fan: I have never dressed up as a character, I have never done the midnight-opening thing. But I did look at the yarns when they came out, just to see if there were any I liked. (No, they didn't do "house colors." They came up with colorways that were in some way suggestive of characters - Hedwig's is mostly grays and whites; Tonks' has a lot of pink in it).

I particularly liked the one for Dumbledore - it's kind of subdued, there's a bit of pink in it, but it's mostly muted colors. So I decided to buy the yarn.

And darn it, if I didn't start thinking about the yarn as being for my "gay dead wizard boyfriend" socks (original reference here).

Dumbledore always was one of my favorite of the wizard characters. Unlike a lot of women, I never was a Snape girl - I can't stand people in real life who have that kind of pointed, borderline (or overtheborderline) mean sarcasm. So he never appealed to me. And in the movies - and I realize a lot of women will disagree with me on this - but I was just like, "wash your hair once in a while, man!" His hair just looked kind of greasy to me.

And yeah, I know, even if Dumbledore weren't dead, and gay, and (most importantly) imaginary, he'd be far too old to actually be my boyfriend. But whatever.

(And probably the wizard-Muggle thing would present some problems).

But anyway. My dead gay wizard boyfriend socks. I just have to figure out if I want to do any kind of a fancy rib pattern on the cuffs, or just do them plain.

So you see, I have more interesting things on my mind than rewriting some dumb journal article.

1 comment:

Sheila O'Malley said...

But anyway. My dead gay wizard boyfriend socks.

hahahahahaha