Thursday, December 11, 2008

should I stay or should I go?

Minor dilemma.

My office is about 62* F right now - apparently "they" have turned the heat off, or it broke again, or something. I came in originally to accept my research student's paper (which has been turned in, read, and graded. Alas, not quite good enough for an A but she does earn a B) and work a bit on rewriting a paper myself.

But dammit, it's COLD in here. And I am wearing a wool sweater, with my wool and mohair scarf wrapped around my neck (luckily it matches) and a pair of fingerless gloves (which I have to take off to type or I make too many typos).

So I have to decide: do I stay here until noon as planned, running down to the secretary's office (she has a technically-illegal* space heater going) to warm my hands every half-hour, or do I bail early?

(*And I'd love to see what would happen if the Powers that Be came and told her to turn it off. Considering it's like 62* in her office, she's expected to be there until 4, and she's expected to sit at her desk until that time...)

I was thinking of running to Next Biggest Town this afternoon; a couple quilt tops I took in to be quilted are done and I want to pick them up. And I may take myself out to lunch. And I have a good coupon for the craft store. And one of those 10% off certificates for the Target. (I need a few things, detergent and stuff like that, and I might just pick up a toy for Toys for Tots while I'm there...)

So now I have to decide: do I stay here until closer to lunch, as I had planned, then go down there, eat first, then do my shopping? Or do I bail out now, shop first, then eat right before I head to the grocery store (my last step before coming home).

I hate that I even have to decide that because of a cold office. I really wish the HVAC people could get it together on this building, or, if not, throw up their hands and say, "You really need a new building as we cannot fix this." I am growing weary of my office getting over 82* in the summer and below 65* in the winter, and my never knowing in advance so I cannot plan for it.

1 comment:

The Fifth String said...

Buy a space heater. Piss on the Powers That Be. They are nothing more than automatonic bureaucreeps.