Thursday, June 25, 2009

Banish 'em all...

..that's my reaction to Jon Minus Kate Plus Eight Sad Children, the South Carolina Governor, and everyone else who has a position of power, who makes a lot of money, or who gets a lot of respect, who then screws up and melts down on TV and is all "I want everyone to feel SO SORRY for me because I really have such a crap life."

I know, as a Christian, I'm supposed to be forgiving and all, but this kind of crap is starting to make me ill.

My parents have been married 50 years. In that time, neither one ever strayed. Are they that unusual? Are they saints? No. They just figured - I expect - that they each had a good thing and didn't want to screw it up.

I'm not married and I have to admit every new "straying" story makes me sad - makes me wonder if maybe my parents ARE freaks or saints or something else, and it makes me wonder, if I had married M., or D., or any of the other gents in my past, would I be sitting in the shadows crying as he explained how he just "needed something new?"

What is it, people? I realize I have very little experience in this thing called romance, but I don't quite understand how, when you have someone who loves you, that you can hurt that person so badly. Because it seems to me that having an affair behind the person's back is about one of the worst things you can do in a relationship.

I don't know. Once again, I do not understand people and I am probably better off alone.

3 comments:

Kate P said...

I don't get it, either. Even if you're not feeling romantically inclined toward your spouse, there's still something called a vow to be faithful. (Obviously I am not talking about relationships where there is abuse going on.) If somebody needs help with staying faithful, he or she should seek help.

Caltechgirl said...

I think a lot of people have a big problem with things that are hard. Staying faithful and staying married are both hard. Cheating and getting divorced are easy. People just don't deal with problems. I don't know why. Maybe because it's often easier to walk away than to confront a real problem.

Mr. Bingley said...

Marriage is work. You both have to learn say "yes' to your spouse and "no" to yourself, and in this "mememememememememememememe" society of ours that's tough.