Wednesday, September 16, 2009

O RLY?

I have no idea if this is a for-real thing, or if it's just over-reaction by the "other side," but I've heard it said that there are people out there - some currently in high placed positions - who believe that capitalism is evil and should be taken down.

The main response I have to that is that I'm STILL haunted by the television images from the late 70s of Soviet housewives standing in line for six hours to buy a loaf of bread - and when they get to the head of the line, their choice is "buy this single kind, or go without."

I realize that there are some 'losers' in a capitalist system (though perhaps some, because of mismanagement or corruption, deserve to lose). But it seems to me that a communistic system seems to mean more people lose.

I couldn't live in a system where I had to wait hours and hours to buy food. I would literally starve, seeing as I work 10, 12, 14 hour days sometimes.

I also think of Churchill's (I think it was?) comment that "Democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others."

I think some of the people who complain how "bad" it is here, haven't really seen "bad."

No comments: