Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thanks so effing much

Thanks, Nancy. Thanks, Harry. Thanks, Barry.

I just found out today that they're going to start counting my health insurance as taxable income. I'm sure this is the result of the new "Health Care Bill."

The nurse who told me this fact was as disgusted and frustrated as I am.

The thing is - because I'm single, no dependents, I go for the Cadillac health care - it's a perk, I don't have to pay out for it. Well, now I do.

And dammit, the re-enrollment period was two weeks ago. So I can't even drop back to cheaper lesser coverage (I rarely use my health insurance; I'm very healthy aside from allergies) to save myself some bucks.

Guys? You just de-stimulated the economy a little, because money I MIGHT be spending I will now be sitting on, because I'm fearing a bigger tax bill in the future.

Thanks so damn much. Grr.

(I really hope the Health Care mess gets repealed. Yes, we need to modify how insurance works and such, but this bill was just such an unholy zombie mess that it's going to be FULL of unintended consequences like this one.)

2 comments:

Dave E. said...

The nurse gave you some bad info. It's true that they will begin tracking the employer contribution to health care on the W-2 we will get in 2012 for tax year 2011. However, the field is only informational. There is no tax on that amount at this time. Down the road it will be used to tax "cadillac" plans(in 2018) and who knows what else. For next year for sure though, you don't need to worry.

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/ask/archive/a-tax-on-health-benefits.html

Heroditus Huxley said...

My other half and I buy our own insurance. We have not ever, and will not ever, accept it as a benefit.

Truth be told, I'd rather have the extra pay. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself, and that includes budgeting for routine medical care.