Monday, June 06, 2011

I don't keep up with the news these days.

(What I have seen of late, has mostly been the Anthony trial. I don't know. I have no interest in it. It's sad, if the woman killed her kid she should be put away for it, but I don't want to hear the details).

I had heard a little about the Weiner affair. I don't know, I reserved judgment, not knowing the details and having known people whose e-mail accounts got hacked.

But my mom called me - knowing I had been involved with research all day and had avoided the radio or television - to tell me that apparently it was his dongle in the photograph, and apparently he was the one who sent it, and now he's confessing, and, I hope, apologizing to the people that he smeared in the process.

In case you were wondering about my response to what he did, here it is:

"What an idiot."

Seriously, what is it about power that either attracts people who have problems keepin' it in their pants - or causes people who might be OK otherwise to lose control? John Edwards, the IMF guy (I hear that his lawyers are going to try to claim the sex was consensual. Well, I don't know that for sure but based on what I've read about the victim, I have an opinion on it, and it's not in line with what the IMF dude's lawyers are gonna say). The "wide stance" guy in the airport bathroom (The names I forget. The things that I, having been relatively sheltered and innocent in my life, have learned about human sexuality, I don't forget). The governor who claimed he was off on fact-finding trips when he was really diddling his mistress. And of course, President "I did not have sex with that woman" Clinton. All of them. What's up with it? I know humanity is flawed and often does what's wrong, but it still distresses me to see so MUCH of it.

I may dislike Obama's politics, I may hate many of the things he is wanting to impose on our nation, but AT LEAST he is faithful to his wife. You can say that for the guy, no matter how much, as I said, you dislike his politics.

But, I don't know. It's so sordid, and so ugly, and so much like the plot of a Porky's movie, that some congressman sees fit to send a photograph of his erect member to a co-ed, and then lie when someone else calls him on it. (And you can say what you want about "people have private lives" - you don't send sexy pictures as a twit-pic picture on the internet if you're a public figure.)

No comments: