Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Is it almost over?

So far today I have had:

Student who "needed" to make up lab say he wanted to make up the one I specifically said he couldn't. Then he shows up making off like he's going to do the lab, but when I go back to check on him at a time when he COULD NOT POSSIBLY have been done already, he's gone and there's no evidence of the lab having been done.

Student come and have a weeping fit in my office because this other prof is SO mean and doesn't understand what she's trying to say in her research paper and she NEEDS my help to make him understand how her plan is wonderful and perfect and not to be criticized.

The administrator who was supposed to set up a summer special class for my graduate student forgot, so my graduate student cannot enroll. We're going to have to do it as an 'arranged' class which makes it more of a headache for her.

I leave campus briefly to get a bad rash (contact dermatitis) checked out and to be reassured that no, I do not need prednisone treatment to get rid of it, and what I'm already doing is the best thing, and come back to a rambling accusatory letter from a student who's missed class for three weeks and "I NEED TO MEET WITH YOU NOW AND YOU'RE NOT HERE AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE YOU ALWAYS NEED TO BE HERE" never mind that this individual has made, and failed to show up for, three separate appointments with me.

Oh, and the rash: it's probably being made worse by stress. (I get eczema from stress sometimes). Lovely.

2 comments:

Dave R. said...

If you tell the perpetually absent student that you have a bad rash and it's totally his or her fault, the "student" will have to believe you. After all, you're the biology expert.

Heroditus Huxley said...

I don't quite know how I do it, but my snowflakes usually drop, or stop coming/logging in. And my policy is that, once they miss doing an assignment, there's no making it up. And they know that, while I will grant extensions before the due date, I won't take it late, under most circumstances.

I'm not *nearly* as nice as you are.