Friday, April 02, 2010

Is this an April Fool's joke?

A representative from Georgia, at hearings about increasing military presence on Guam, said that "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize,"

Okay. He later claimed he was using a "metaphor," but from the audio I heard, it didn't sound very metaphorical to me.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over this. This guy is making more money, more bennies, than probably the most of us do. And he doesn't understand the basics of how an island works.  They're not like riverboats. They're not like those floating platforms you put out in your lake to sunbathe on or jump off of.

They're attached.

I think I've mentioned on here before that for much of his career, my dad was a geology prof. He taught a lot of intro courses, where he discussed stuff like this. I know exactly what his reaction will be upon hearing about Rep. Johnson's statement:

1 comment:

Kate P said...

Oh, for the love of. . . let's eat some chocolate and feel better. Alleluia and Happy Easter, Ricki!

WV: teryki
I think that's what we'll do with leftover Easter ham.