Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Malaise: I has it.

I keep telling myself things (students, the economy, the campus admin, all of it) will get better.

WHEN?

I feel like the news is still bad. I think I'm starting to burn out on academia.

(Bad stuff is happening. I may have to fire a TA.)

I know it's totally unworkable but I kind of wish there were some kind of program that, I don't know, every seven years or so, would allow you to take a year off and try a new career - I'd like to try working in a bakery. Or shelving books in a library. Or lots of things. Of course it would never work and I know I'd object to some professor wannabee with no experience and no training wanting to teach my classes.

It's just, right now the grass everywhere else looks a whole lot greener and I want to either convince myself that it actually isn't, or find that it IS, and then change careers.

1 comment:

Heroditus Huxley said...

I know exactly what you mean. And on top of that burnout, I've got a bit of Mommy burnout--I knew it was going to be hard to handle a toddler with an infant, but never dreamed it would be as hard as it is. I know women have managed for ages, but it just seems impossible, and makes keeping a positive attitude about working for money even harder than it usually is when I'm feeling burnt out.