Thursday, January 06, 2011

Resolutions...not

I don't generally make New Year's Resolutions.

For one thing, New Year's (and New Year's Eve) isn't that big of a holiday for me. I don't consume alcohol, I don't like to stay up late, I get actively annoyed at the "Last Year In Review" stuff that takes over the news (and other programs) the last week of the year.

But I think there are two, maybe three, reasons why I don't make resolutions.

First off, I tend to feel that improvement - seeing where you need to improve and doing something about it - should be more of a year-round thing. That just as Valentine's Day isn't a "get out of the consequences of being kind of a jerk to your beloved for the rest of the year, free" card (even if you buy a really, really nice gift), I don't think January 1 should be the only (or main) taking-stock day.

I do the whole taking-stock thing a lot. "Well, that didn't work" is a common refrain in my life, followed up by, "What can I try that will work?" Whether it's teaching, or a research technique, or even something like getting rid of ants in the kitchen. And I realize resolutions are different from that, but "Be A Better Teacher" is more nebulous and difficult to implement than, say, "Require the students to do more writing, and give them more detailed feedback on it." Or, "This lab activity is stale, you need to come up with a new one." And usually the specific ideas only come at the time when something isn't working...and are best implemented then.

Also, I think my irritation with the whole idea of resolutions is that it allows the more self-critical side of me to overlook the things I already do. Exercise? I try to do that for an hour a day, five days a week. I don't know that I'd have time for more exercise, or even if it would be so good for me to do more (There's some evidence that "excessive" exercise - I'm not sure how that's defined - depresses the immune system). Eating healthfully? I actually do pretty well, and my few vices fall into this camp, and I'm not sure a person without vices is terribly interesting. (And besides, dark chocolate is now supposedly good for you. Well, in "moderation." (And gah, how I hate the words "in moderation.").

And other stuff. Someone I know resolved to go to the Women's meetings at church every month. I already do that. And other Responsible Grown-Up type things, I already do a lot of them. Pay my bills on time. Don't spend money I don't have. All of that.

So I think for me, rather than burdening myself with yet another thing, I'm good, thanks, and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. (Is that anti-American? To say that you're good with what you already do to keep healthy/advance in your job/be a responsible person, and so, not make resolutions? I actually had someone once imply that there was something wrong with me because I wasn't frothing at the mouth to Change Everything Now! and that I was willing to accept that I do "enough" already.)

I think the other reason why I don't care so much for new resolutions at the new year is this - if you celebrate Christmas, the New Year comes at the very end of it. (I suppose some people in the U.S. do the whole twelve nights thing, culminating with Epiphany - which, if I remember correctly, is today - but I don't do that, and it does feel very much like Christmas is over). You're putting away the lights and the decorations, the gifts have been opened, the cookies have got stale (if your brother didn't eat them all before Christmas)....it's back to a more ordinary existence. (I guess, strictly speaking, it's not quite Ordinary Time yet, but then we Disciples of Christ aren't very good at following the liturgical year). And for me, at least, to put all the shiny pretty things away, to be thinking about a new semester beginning with whatever challenges that may bring - it just feels like too much to look at myself and go, "I must begin losing 20 pounds this very instant!"

(I'd probably be more inclined to make St. Patrick's Day resolutions. Or Flag Day Resolutions. But New Year's? It comes at a time that already feels kind of cold and sad to me).

So I don't know. I will admit to twitching over the "new" slate of television programs on some channels, all about Cooking Healthy! or Decluttering Your Life! because they just make me tired. (And really, for me? Watching cooking shows is kind of like the way some guys watch sports - I know I'd never actually be able to do what's being shown, but it's sure fun to watch it being done to excess. Seeing someone broil fish and steam broccoli is not as much fun as watching Paula Deen throw butter around.)

No comments: