Friday, January 14, 2011

No, you may not.

Okay. So I teach a class that is required of almost all our majors for graduation. And though they're supposed to take it as sophomores or juniors, most put it off until they're seniors. And the class usually fills up.

This semester I've had three people who waited until the last minute, and now need the class or they don't graduate in May. And the class is full. And I can't over-fill it, both for my own sanity and because there isn't enough buttspace in the lab and in the field vehicles for the field trips we do.

So those three people are on a waiting list. Maybe they get in. Maybe they don't. Depends on if someone drops or not.

Now, this morning, I get a fourth person showing up. Except, this is a guy who started out last semester, developed a 'tude, stopped coming, came and got mad at me when I told him he had earned an F. And he NEEDS the class to graduate now.

"Isn't there anything you can do?"

"No, I'm sorry."

"But I need this to graduate."

"I know, there are other people in that boat, but I'm sorry, I can't put anyone more in the class."

"But I can drive my own vehicle for the field labs!"

"No, I can't legally allow you to do that, for insurance and liability reasons." (this is true)

"But I really need the course!"

"No, I'm sorry. I'll put you on the wait list."

What I WANTED to say? "Then why did you flame out so badly last semester?" But I didn't.

I'm tired enough of people not taking responsibility (on oh, so many levels) and expecting to get bailed out that I didn't feel at all bad telling this guy "No, I'm sorry" as many times as I had to. I'll probably see him in the fall. Fine, whatever. He should have planned better.

No comments: