Tuesday, July 17, 2007

'nother little meme

I've seen this lots of places - Ken's, and Cullen's, and elsewhere. I resisted reading their responses before I had a chance to do it, so my thought processes wouldn't be tainted (well, more than they already are.)

So here goes:

The questions:
1. Happen ::
2. Terribly ::
3. History ::
4. Master ::
5. Petrified ::
6. Moan ::
7. Attack ::
8. Picture ::
9. Students ::
10. Potter ::

My responses:

1. Happen ::stance (I see Cullen has that too, now, but it's the first thing I thought of).
2. Terribly ::horribly
3. History ::Channel (And Ken had that)
4. Master ::and Commander (Ken, again)
5. Petrified ::Forest (Cullen had that one, too. And Ken, now, I see)
6. Moan ::and piss (Yeah, that should be "pissing and moaning" but whatever)
7. Attack ::of the Killer Tomatoes (yet again Ken. Dammit, can't I do anything original?)
8. Picture ::Book
9. Students ::workbook (I guess I'm thinking about the labs they have to hand in.)
10. Potter ::clay (again, Cullen had that.)

Okay, let me try again, trying DELIBERATELY to be "out there."

1. Happen ::ed to meet an old lover on the street last night (no, not actually. I wish. It's from a Paul Simon song)

2. Terribly ::made

3. History ::in the making (which is a phrase I dislike when applied to an event. It's like some television special or movie that's dubbed "destined to become a classic." Um, no. Things become classics because they are well-made and they strike some kind of cultural chord at the time they come out, not because deep-voice announcer-guy says they will. And often, the destined-to-be-classics are horrible drek, like a Christmas special featuring the licensed character-of-the-week)

4. Master ::'s Thesis

5. Petrified ::what some women look like after too much Botox. I earned all the crow's feet and forehead wrinkles I have, so I'm keeping them, thanks.

6. Moan ::Bad ringtone. Did you know there's a ringtone out there that sounds like a woman in the throes of passion? Most disgusting thing ever, and I'd hate having a six-year-old with me asking, "Mummy, why is that lady's phone sounding like that?"

7. Attack ::dog (Probably not original but I'm not scrolling through all the blogs I read to see who else did it)

8. Picture ::if it paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you? (apologies to those who now have that song stuck in their heads for the rest of the day.)

9. Students ::double secret probation

10. Potter :: poor Fawn, she was killed in a kiln explosion.

(Incidentally, there's a (maybe unintentionally) hilarious study guide about that movie I referenced in my last two comments. Designed for ESL classes.

Considering that my sole experience with ESL learners comes from
a. trying to interview a very traditional woman from the Indian sub-continent for a linguistics calss

and

b. that one episode of "My Name is Earl" (one of my favorites, btw)

I can't quite imagine a classroom of people from diverse countries (and cultures!) being able to really discuss that epic of debauchery.

No comments: