Friday, January 25, 2008

random jumble

Oh, thank God I am home. Thank God it is the weekend. I really need some time to let my brain relax.

The meeting this afternoon was not bad at all. It's a committee I serve on on campus, but I'm happy to serve as everyone on the committee is quite sane and usually cheerful and we get stuff done.

Driving this home this afternoon (the committee meeting even ended early enough I could contemplate cooking a real dinner!) I asked myself: what do you want to eat more than anything? What appeals to you? Because part of my distress these past couple days (which could be chalked up to the cold that I'm pretty sure I now have) was that the food I had laid in a supply of - food I normally eat without complaint - just looked awful to me.

And I thought: I really want some nice chewy garlicky focaccia bread, with a bowl of good tomato sauce to dip it in. And maybe even a salad on the side.

So I found a focaccia recipe in one of my books, and it's rising now. I'm relieved that I feel like eating food again, instead of sitting down to the plate and going "do not want."

I always crave tomato things when I have a cold. I don't question it; I figure maybe there's some body-logic reason for wanting tomatoes. Tomato soup, tomatoes stewed on toast, bread with tomato sauce, tomato and cheese rarebit...

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I'm out of a few semi-vital things and maybe I should get some decent cheddar with the thought of making a tomato-cheese rarebit at some point.

****

I forgot a piece of funny graffiti I saw last weekend. Now, understand - I really hate graffiti. I think it's extremely presumptuous of the "tagger" or would-be artist to assume that the owner of the property he or she is defacing is happy with the modification.

But once in a while there's one, even though I wince at the thought of it having to be cleaned up by some city employee, it still makes me laugh.

This one was a stop sign. Below the word "STOP" someone had (using a stencil) painted the word "Hammertime!" in a fancy curly script. Being a child (well, teen, really) of the 80s, I had to laugh.

I totally forgot about it until I saw this:

funny pictures
moar funny pictures

And you know? I still like that song. It still makes me laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being a child of the something-before-the-80s, I don't get "Hammertime" (unless it somehow refers to MC Hammer, in which case I understand the reference but still don't get it).

But yes, it is good to be home. And my favorite graffito of all time comes not from an actual graffito but from comic strip that used to run in a local paper when I was growing up, called (oddly enough) "Graffiti". The graffito was:

Jesus is the answer

What was the question?

"Who is Mattie Alou's brother?"