Saturday, January 26, 2008

YES!!!!

'Member several months ago, how I was fretting about not being able to find my Social Security card, and how it was probably going to make renewing my driver's license far more complicated?

Well, this evening, I decided to listen to some music over the computer* (long story but basically I wanted to hear the original version (the 1963, Bob and Earl version) of the Harlem Shuffle again and couldn't find my recording of it. I realized YouTube MUST have it [they do].) While listening, I decided to sort through my desk drawers, to see if maybe the tape I was looking for was in there.

(*Edited to add: good grief, I sound like my grandmother. "Listen to music over the computer"? Sheesh. Next thing, I'll be saying that someone sent me an Internet.)

You know how they say you find a thing you're missing when you're not actually looking for it?

I ran across a stack of cards that I had formerly carried in my wallet - some business cards from different places (including the Dutch Oven Yarn Shoppe and Bakery in Alanson, Michigan) and my old library card from where I used to live. And I thought, "Wonder if my Social Security card might be in this stack?"

Hey presto, it WAS. So now I know where it is (and even better, I know that some weirdo doesn't have my card (as Bart Simpson once famously speculated about his soul, after selling it for $5, I think for a comic book).

Of course, if the lady at the DMV was right, I already have the "digital" driver's license and don't actually NEED the card to prove I am who I say I am. (But I'm bringing it, and my birth certificate, with me, just in case, when I go to renew next month.)

Now I just need to figure out something else to search for so I can find that "Soul Shots" tape...

(Yes, I really need to buy an iPod one of these days and just spend the money to load it up with all the almost-forgotten R and B artists I like).

1 comment:

Kate P said...

Awesome! Hey, if you see the mittens I got for Christmas and the celtic heart earring I lost on Tuesday, let me know. I'm batting a thousand this week.