Monday, July 14, 2008

humidity can **** off

I woke up this morning perspiring. Now, you have to understand: I have a/c that is set in the range of 74-75 degrees. And a ceiling fan in the bedroom. And a dehumidifier that runs intermittently in the kitchen (which is just across the hall from my bedroom...I have a funny old house with a strange floor plan).

When I actually got up, I realized I could barely breathe.

$#%*&.

It's our high humidity time again. When it's foggy when I wake up, dewpoints remain in the 70s all day long, and I walk around feeling like I'm a couple inches away from an anxiety attack because that's the way humidity makes me feel.

And the humidity traps stink. I can tell that one of my neighbors grilled out last night - the cloud of lighter fluid is still hanging in the air. And I know when I get home I'll be able to smell what's on the grill at the Dairy Queen a couple of streets over. And God forbid a skunk gets hit on the road, or there's some kind of big roadkill, because we'll all smell it for days.

And I think the misery that's brought by humidity has a lot of other consequences:

1. People's tempers are shorter. I know mine is. And while I'm less inclined to go OFF on things (because it's so hot, meh), I am less patient and tolerant and more prone to just walk away from a situation in frustration.

2. Crazy people seem to be crazier. I've seen this at the local grocery store - people screaming at cashiers, accusing them of some kind of conspiracy, when the poor cashier knows nothing of the situation. I've (occasionally) been buttonholed myself in shops by someone with glittery eyes who wants to share some very important information

3. Stuff seems to break more readily, or there seem to be more car "issues."

4. Annoying people seem annoying-er, but I don't know if that's them, me, or some combination.

5. I can't type as well. Making lots of errors. Kind of being borderline dyslexic in my spelling like when my allergies are bad or I'm starting with a migraine.

We haven't had any rain - real rain - in a while, either, and that sort of adds to the fug of bad-ness hanging in the air.

2 comments:

Kate P said...

Humidity is not my friend, either. My hair loves it, but the rest of me hates it.

Anonymous said...

Here at work, we have a noticeably higher number of domestic violence incidents during July and August. Humidity does not bring out the best in people, that is true.

I hate it. I can't breathe, my skin feels sticky and gross all the time, and my hair won't do anything but just lay there. Headbands and barettes are my friends.