Friday, August 29, 2008

Stay safe, y'all

I don't know if any of my readers are in Gustav's path, but here's hoping for:

a. a quick weakening and downgrading of the storm
or, failing that

b. no flooding in NOLA
and
c. an orderly evacuation.

I don't live in a place that gets hurricane damage - true, once in a while we'll get heavy rains from the dying remnant of one. But...and not to preach at you too much, seeing as I don't know your circumstances - but if I lived where there were hurricanes, and one was heading my way, I'd have the family photos off the walls and carefully packed in boxes with bubblewrap, and my handmade quilts folded up and tucked into pillowcases, and a few other items that I would be kind of heartsick over losing carefully packed - and all of that either near my door, or already in my car (assuming I have a garage so no one would loot it at night).

And the minute a word is even breathed about "evacuation," I'd be gone. Probably on the way to my parents' house, or to any friend or family member out of danger who could put me up.

Because the house and the furniture isn't worth it. Even if it's a minor 'cane and looters come through (though looters after a disaster can most thoroughly FOAD, in Emily's parlance), it's not worth risking a life over.

(But I'd still take the pictures of my great grandparents if I at all could.)

So, I hope it misses you, if you're in the path. But if it's not gonna - get the heck out of there and stay safe.

Hurricanes are damn scary. I can't believe Katrina was three whole years ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, looters can most emphatically FOAD. And I sincerely hope it's my own hand that provides the AD.

On a somber note, you probably know that I've been scanning family pics. Eventually, money willing, I hope to store the originals in a safe and fireproof safe. Even if the worst happens, we will have backups in binary.

But your point needs to be made to EVERYONE. Stuff is just stuff, but family pictures are priceless. After living, breathing beings (human and animal), the most important things to protect are pictures.

Rob said...

Thanks, Ricki. ALL good vibes welcome here.