Friday, August 22, 2008

uh-oh

I think I scared the daylights out of one of my students today.

I had one guy walk into class maybe 5 minutes late. Because it's still early days, and I don't know everyone's name yet, I am taking roll. (I hope I can get to the point where I can do a quick scan and see who's not there).

Anyway, this guy comes walking (well, running, rather), in.

"Ralphie?!" I said (name changed to protect the innocent). I guess I said it kind of sharply - I was mid sentence when he walked in and it startled me - he immediately apologized, and explained he had a class all the way across campus (I understand, it's a long trek from there) right before this one.

I said it was OK and I moved on.

At the end of class he came up - kind of shaky like - and apologized to me again and explained again. I was all "Dude, dude, it's OK. I only said your name because I was taking roll and I was guessing that it was you. I'm not mad at you or anything."

It's always hard when you have latecomers - if there's more than one of each gender - if you don't know names. Either you have to ask them their name or guess, and I'm not sure which is more embarrassing to me. I wish I were one of those people who learned who people were the moment they were introduced to them, but I'm not, and no matter what I've tried, I can't change that.

I just hope I didn't scare "Ralphie" too badly today.

No comments: