Wednesday, April 22, 2009

something that struck me funny

Maybe it's not, I don't know. But this just reminds me of how sheltered and square my life is.

This week is nutrient-cycling week in my soils class. So I thought: hey, I could look up some photos on line showing the deficiency symptoms for the major plant nutrients, and add them in to my presentation. So I used Google Image Search.

I figured the first types of plants to show up would be corn, wheat, maybe clover...you know, the big crop plants.

Nuh-uh. Some of the first pictures came up from something called "420 magazine" (yes, THAT 420), and something like "ganjaworld" and places like that.

Apparently ganja growers are VERY concerned about nutrient deficiency in their plants.

Oh, and I kept searching. And I did eventually find corn and clover photos to use. Though maybe the other ones, first thing in the morning, might have opened the eyes of a few students. (Then again, I'm getting evaluations done in a couple days)

5 comments:

Mr. Bingley said...

Hehehe, that's a hoot. I guess part of it is that they don't want to attract attention by making large fertilizer purchases.

The Fifth String said...

420 magazine? I had to look it up. I assume there's a reason it's called that but I have no clue what it would be.

ricki said...

Ken - apparently "420" is some kind of stoner code. Not sure exactly what it means other than that people who smoke apparently celebrate April 20 as a holiday to do so.

Teaching on a college campus means you learn stuff you wouldn't otherwise have any reason to know.

The Fifth String said...

Huh. Stoners celebrate April 20?

Maybe that would explain another group that celebrates April 20.

Cullen said...

From Wikipedia, FWIW:The origin of the term stems from a story about a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California, United States in 1971. The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue.