Sunday, November 12, 2006

maybe it's just me...

but doesn't it seem kinda in poor taste for the Simpsons episode the day after Veterans' Day to be one that makes fun of the Army, or at least its recruiting practices?

(And I also admit some irritation at the "Springfield=Iraq and Evil Space Aliens=US" ending of what started out as a rather clever parody of War of the Worlds last week).

****

In other (but not wholly unrelated) news, I figured out today why I dislike bumper stickers and would never put one on my car: You cannot solve the problems of the world in a sentence that would fit on a 10 1/2" by 5" rectangle of sticky back vinyl. (Okay, so that idea's somewhat stolen from Eject, Eject, Eject, and I think Lileks made a similar comment in passing on his blog one day, but it does sum up why I get irritated at people who say things like "If we just pulled out of Iraq now, everything would be fixed!")

I dunno. Life is complicated and it irritates me when people want to try to oversimplify it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but Grumble grumble grumble

Anonymous said...

I sort of agree with you on the bumper sticker thing. I refused for a very long time to put any kind of sticker on my car. Then one day I got pissed off at a political candidate and put his opponent's sticker on my car.

I am now not opposed to bumper stickers, but I have very specific rules. They can be for candidates, but I will only throw one on if I'm actually volunteering in some other capacity for the campaign. If I'm endorsing someone on the road, I'm really supporting them.

I will do political non-election messages, but they have to be timely and send an actual message that's got a chance at having an impact. Most pro-gun stickers are out even though I'm pro-gun. My last non-election sticker was "Ban the Ban" to campaign against the DC smoking ban. It has to be something remotely realistic. In other words, no general "world peace" worthless crap.

Perhaps the most important rule of all is that there will only be one sticker on my car at any given time. If I'm going to put it on my car, it will have impact. It will not be one of a million meaningless messages.

Not that anyone gives a damn in DC, but I feel very principled in my rules. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I dunno.

I'm rather fond of:
"My other car is a broom"