Friday, September 12, 2008

AAARRRRRGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

This is not directed at any of the nice readers of my blog.

This is directed (in absentia) at some of my students:

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE FRICKING GRAPH FUNCTION IN FRICKING MS EXCEL, DON'T FRICKING USE IT TO MAKE YOUR FRICKING GRAPHS!

I told you and told you that hand-drawn graphs on graph paper were perfectly acceptable for this assignment.

Oh, and LABEL the DANGED AXES. Even if you have to FRICKING do it by FRICKING HAND (which I would argue suggests that you should probably just go back and hand-draw the entire graph, but whatever). I have seen four graphs now where the x-axis is labeled "1" from the auto-default that Excel does for people who don't know how to use it.

That does not help me at all, and it does nothing to convince me that you knew what you were doing. FAIL. EPIC FAIL.

3 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

takes me back to my UNC teaching days with Freshman bio lab.....

I can sympathize. You need a glass of wine, dear!

Anonymous said...

GAAAAAHHHH! I hate that!

Not that it applies to me (I've been called a "spreadsheet jockey) so I should show tolerance for those who are Excel-challenged, but a basic rule for life is, "If you don't know how to use it, DON'T USE IT!"

Anonymous said...

GAAAAAHHHH! I hate that! I forgot to close my quote.

I may be a "spreadsheet jockey", but I also am a "keyboard dork dragged down the track with one foot caught in the stirrup".