Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Aw crap

I think I'm getting a cold. I can't tell if it's that or if it's allergies, but since I had a sore throat MONDAY, none yesterday, but one again TODAY, that makes me suspicious. And it rained today, which should mean allergens are less.

I've already started drinking hot (decaffeinated) tea. I guess tomorrow I better lay in a bigger supply of orange juice. (I already have tons of chicken broth on hand. I tend to be bad about "worry purchasing" chicken broth..."Wait, I'm almost out of this, right? I better get some because the place near me doesn't carry the brand I like." So I have like 15 cans of chicken both on the shelf.) So I can make whatever kind of chicken soup I need.

The only upside is that I will have a reasonable excuse not to do a grueling Saturday's worth of thankless volunteer work.

At least it's not a true summer cold, where you're sick and feverish and it's 110* degrees out; those really suck. At least now it's down into the 80s so it's not quite so much a feeling of "Man I am going to faint walking across this parking lot."

That says, it does kind of suck being sick when you live alone. If you run out of ibuprofen or something you are faced with the Hobson's choice of making the long, long trek to the pharmacy (which will invariably have the long checkout line with the complaining woman who thinks she's being overcharged or wants to use a coupon that's actually expired) or staying home and dealing without it. And I will say there are few things worse than trying to do necessary shopping when you're feverish and ill because it seems like all the petty annoyances (like the complaining checkout woman) are magnified tenfold.

Of course, I could be wrong and it could just be that the room I teach in Wednesday afternoons is infested with mold, which is also a possibility. (And perhaps a slightly cheerier possibility because I only have to deal with it once a week.)

No comments: