Friday, September 12, 2008

OK, this is why

This is why I am avoiding the politics talk as much as I possibly can this fall.

Because it is SO DAMN UGLY folks. Unnecessarily ugly. And it's seeping into areas that it shouldn't seep into, IMHO. There are certain craft blogs (CRAFT BLOGS, people), I'm going to have to give up reading because of the screechiness and screediness.

One woman linked to a letter-to-the-editor from an Alaskan expressing concerns about Palin. Fair enough; she can do that.

But instead of wording her link with something like, "Here's one reason why I'm concerned about Palin" or "This is why I'd like you to think twice about voting for the ticket," she used the phrase "redneck frightmare."

Unnecessary. Totally unnecessary. And offensive, IMHO. And did it make me more likely to click the link? Hell no. And did it make me more likely to consider her opinion? Double hell no.

Maybe I'm a weird person but I'm more prone to listen to the quiet person in the corner who speaks softly, remains calm, and backs up their position with evidence, than I am to the person whose eyes are glittery and who is screaming and using rude language. And if most people in the U.S. think you have to be offensive in order to convince people or even get their attention on an issue, that is really, terribly sad. And maybe a sign that we're closing in on being "done" as a country, if it gets much worse. I don't want a Paranoiocracy.

Look, if you want Obama to win rather than McCain, that's fine with me. If you have doubts about McCain's policies, fine with me. But making "old jokes" or calling him a fossil or something goes over a line. As does all the misogynistic ranting about Palin that I've seen.

And on the other side: I have my doubts about Obama's ability to lead. I have concerns that his political philosophy may be much farther and more unpleasantly Left than what most folks think. But I'm not gonna comment about his appearance. Or his ethnic background (dear God, no). Or even so much about his way of speaking. (I personally think the "lipstick on a pig" bit was not a slam intended at Palin...I've heard people say that kind of phrase around here and although it's perhaps infelicitous given the setting, I don't think he meant it to be directed at HER. In fact, I found the "old fish" comment right after more worrisome...). And I don't like Biden much, but that's mainly for his policies and for some of his history.

(Oh, and for the record: I do think the "Community Organizer" meme was probably an unfortunate choice for the right to engage Obama's experience.)

But so many people seem to equate one person voicing something like "I'm not sure he has the foreign policy knowledge" to "Open Season on insulting candidates!" And it's ugly as hell when people start sucking the families into it, and it's unseemly when cracks are made about a person's appearance (Seriously, I know plastic surgery exists, but a person should not have to get it just to be thought of as viable for public office).

It's like I'm back on the third-grade playground, when I listen to some political commentary, only the "mean kids" know a lot more hurtful words, and they can scream louder because they're bigger.

No comments: