Sunday, September 28, 2008

a little sad...

Ran out to the super-wal-mart this morning (because I'm less likely to leave wanting to kill someone if I shop really early on a weekend morning). I saw a jar of "Newman's Own" salad dressing.

And it made me sad.

Sad because he's gone...someone who was such a fixture and an icon.

And also sad because I (not being a big movie viewer) know him mainly for his salad dressing, and his cookies, and his marinara sauce, and the lemonade that (facetiously) promised to restore virginity (is that still on the market, or have people so much lost their senses of humor that something like that can't be sold any more?)

Oh, I've seen The Sting and Cool Hand Luke and, I'm sure, other movies he was in that I am now forgetting. But I don't know his work as much as I feel I should.

I will say I know it enough that, to use a generation's-previous-to-me version of the "Brad Pitt or George Clooney?" question (In other words: "Newman or Redford?"), that I'd pick Newman, every time.

RIP.

No comments: