Tuesday, January 13, 2009

False alarm

Well, I over-worried about my someday-to-be-former colleague.

The "concerns about replacing her" are for the FALL. So, no bad health problems, no bad budget cutting - it's just that she wants to do what she'd been planning for a while, to be a full-time grandma, and decided it was time to give notice now so we could plan.

(I was freaked by her cleaning out her office, but I guess she's just getting a start now while she has time. I will say I did profit to the tune of several expensive books that I was too cheap to buy for myself, and which she says she won't be using in her retirement.)

I'll miss having her around - but I'm relieved that she's ending her career with us because she has a way she prefers to spend her time.

And I'm also relieved I won't be hit with an unexpected extra class to teach. I'd do it if I HAD to - but I'd much, much rather not.

Our enrollment LOOKED down, but now it's shot up in the last day or two. I guess people are either finding the money (or praying they will), or are deciding that completing that degree will make them more marketable.

2 comments:

The Fifth String said...

to be a full-time grandma

There is no greater or cooler aspiration. I just love that.

Kate P said...

Oh, good, it turned out better than it initially looked. (And you scored some books!) I hope that your colleague enjoys her new direction in life, and that she'll stay in touch with you.