Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Freckle Song

Joel and Ken have been talking about Homer and Jethro, a couple of fairly brilliant "hillbilly" songsters.

And Joel posted one of their songs, and asked: is this a parody of another song? And I thought for sure it was, because it sounded SO FAMILIAR. But I think perhaps I was remembering another song that sounds similar (but which the Homer and Jethro is not a parody of). In fact, I thought they had done it, but I see now that it was a different group. It's "The Freckle Song," well-known to fans of Dr. Demento:



I thought that was terribly terribly racy when I was like 13. "She has freckles on her BUT(T)... she is nice" ahahahahaha. (I also guess I didn't get the line about her getting plastered, and being drunker than the singer's brother. "Bastard" was not a word I really knew as a kid. But I did get the "born in Hackensack and made a fortune on her.....career" joke.).


(An even more borderline-bawdy version is here but the person who originated it doesn't want it embedded. It's sort of a nice vid, though, with images from the 20s and 30s. And the lyrics are different)

A similar song, with the idea of "you expect they're going to say one thing and they say another" from Dr. Demento is the Shaving Cream Song

(warning: may have borderline subliminal icky images.)

2 comments:

The Fifth String said...

I used to listen to Dr. Demento religiously (i.e., every Sunday) but haven't for some time.

I don't know the Freckle song, but it's excellent.

OTOH, "Shaving Cream" - I have the album! It was released after Benny got some airtime on Dr. Dememto, probably had been released before but Benny got a new career boost in the 70s.

And now I have to go a-Youtubin'. And if I don't find enough Benny Bell, I will definitely have to look into getting a vinyl-to-computer ripper turntable.

red fish said...

Wow! Mom used to sing the line "She's got freckles on her butt, she is nice...When I hold her in my arms it's paradise." I haven't thought about that song in years, and I'd never heard the whole song. Thanks for bringing back fond memories. Funny, I've been missing Mom quite a bit today.