Sunday, January 11, 2009

A question

This is for those of you who are Catholic. (Or, I suppose, if you're Jewish, as well: though I know far less about how those services are conducted). You sing hymns or songs in the service, right? (And I mean other than the sort of response-songs like what we Prods call "Doxology" or "Gloria Patri")

Has there been a move afoot to "gender neutralize" some of the traditional hymns? I mean, do stuff like change "man" to "human" or "son" (except when referring to God's Son, of course) to "child"?

The congregation I belong to now is pretty old-school and conservative and the hymnbooks we use have the original traditional words. But my parents' congregation recently got new hymnbooks...and what seems like a distressingly large number of the hymns have the little abbreviation "alt." after the author's name, indicating the words have been altered. Usually it's a gender neutralization thing, but also references to warfare were removed as much as possible (so they said in the introduction, which I flipped to after finding one of the familiar hymns to me was no longer quite so), as were references to royalty (apparently that last because it seemed somehow classist to the editors. So a lot of the Christ the King references were changed, as were references to Lord)

Now, I won't go so far as my brother does and pronounce it "kind of Orwellian" (and yes, he said that), but it bugs me. I learned the hymns one way and it's jarring to sing them another. (And in some cases I didn't.)

I realize that there are some people who really have a hard time with "man" being the general form of "men and women" or who feel excluded or troubled or something like that. But I guess the updaters do not consider those of us who are troubled to think that Charles Wesley's (or whomever's) original intent has been slightly changed. Or that their art has been altered - while it might not rise to the level of putting boxers on Michelangelo's "David," it is still changing what someone else made.

In some cases the changes are not a big deal. In a few they may even sound better. But in a couple - they were just jarring and uncomfortable and didn't scan right any more. (And yes, scansion sort of matters to me).

I don't know. I realize this is the wave of the future but sometimes I wonder if trying to update too much either amounts to whitewashing the past or to failing to give people credit for seeing the word "man" and mentally figuring that women are included as well.

I do wonder what some of the old-time hymnwriters would say about it - Wesley, and Fanny Crosby, and Isaac Watts. Would they not mind, as long as their music was still being used to praise God? Or would they feel a certain discomfort, perhaps even annoyance, that their words were altered?

8 comments:

The Fifth String said...

Well, I'm not religious at all, much less Catholic or Jewish (other than "honorary") but I have heard of the trend. I don't know how many denominations it has infected but it is becoming common, I think.

I don't much like it primarily because the gender-meutral constructions are almost always unpleasant on the ear. Maybe that's because I'm just old and set in my ways but there you have it. I do try to hold to it in my writing (to some extent) but writing "s/he" is rather cumbersome (less so than "he/she") and I could do without it.

Interesting observation: I had a programming text from college that used "she" exclusively for the generic programmer. At the time I thought it was an amusing way to attack the problem. Still do, actually, though I tend to be more of a linguistic purist these days.

WV: imentest: <-- SEXIST! SEXIST!

Which just reminded me of the most sexist word I ever saw coined: "feperson" [shudder]

John Holton said...

We Catholics have been trying to "gender-neutralize" songs, prayers, and even Scripture readings for at least the last 25 years. And yes, it is disturbing. Most of us have understood that Jesus wasn't excluding women when He spoke of us as "brethren", yet we have replaced it with "brothers and sisters", even though that wasn't written by St. Paul or said by Jesus. There are even priests and nuns who refer to God as "She". Weird.

Kate P said...

Oh, yes. It got especially bad in the '90s when I was in high school, and it's a pain when you're in a choir. I'm waiting for the day I'm doing my cantor bit (with a microphone in the front of church) and accidentally sing the "old" words to a hymn.

Some progressive priests try to change the creed when we recite it (they don't like the "for us men" part). The interesting thing is, the bishops/ICEL have been working on a new translation for the Mass, so it will be interesting to see what changes, although it seems to be going in a better sounding direction.

Mr. Bingley said...

This drives me NUTS. It all started with those 60s Peace and Love types (I'm looking at you, Ken) who changed the "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" from "as he died to make men holy let us die to make men free" to "as he died to make men holy let us live to make men free" thereby totally stripping the lyric of any resonance. I always sing the original line; I don't care what the choir director wants.

Joel said...

Oh, Ricki. Don't get me started on the neutering of hymns/hyrrs.

Our parish gets its song books and missalettes from Oregon Catholic Press, which is ever-vigilant in stamping out any reference to gender. Take the verse in the carol "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," where it should say, "Born to raise the sons of earth." Thety changed it to "Born to raise each child of earth."

Even more egregious is what they do to references to God. They don't dare actually call Him "Her," but they do try to eliminate any pronouns at all. So you get lines like "God will care for God's people in God's house..." (not precisely how it goes, but I can't recall it verbatim). It's like chewing on tinfoil to sing lines like that. But our beloved choir tyrant is an ex-nun from the 60s, so that's what we're stuck with. (Besides, OCP gives us a cheap deal on songbooks.)

One of the things I really miss about being a Protestant is the hymns. Thing is, even though Protestantism is newer as a tradition overall, they've been writing hymns in the vernacular for 500 years, which allowed plenty of time to separate the musical wheat from the chaff. In contrast, the Catholics have only been at it for 40-odd years, and that movement has been away from anything traditional. What I wouldn't give for a Fanny Crosby or Isaac Watts hymn now and then. The theology in some of them shouldn't be that hard to papicize without ruining them.

It's sad that some of the best works in our hymnal are by Luther. (Not that our choir tyrant would dream of using something so reactionary.)

wv: unessess - a female uness.

Joel said...

Oh, and Bingley, I do the same thing. I sing the appropriate line loud and strong, and if anyone wants to make an issue of it, let them.

wv: bilest - what thou dost in thy liver.

Joel said...

Oh, and I just found one of the hymns I was decrying. Here's a couple of the verses:
Faithful and true is the word of our God;
all of God's works are so worthy of trust.
God's mercy falls on the just and the right;
full of God's love is the earth.

We who revere and find hope in our God
live in the kindness and joy of God's wing.
God will protect us from darkness and death;
God will not leave us to starve.


Could you sing "God" instead of "He" so many times without wanting to chew your arms off to escape?

The Fifth String said...

hymns/hyrrs - HAHAHAHA! Excellent, Joel!

WV: arducki - what my brothers and I played with in the bathtub.